Sunday, April 18, 2010

30 years later





Today I returned to SCICON (Science and Conservation). It is Tulare County's Outdoor Ed. camp. I worked there for one school year.. 1980-81. My job was taking 6th graders on a bird watching hike. I was the bird teacher, which is ironic, because I have a bit of a bird phobia. I love watching and identifying birds in the outdoors. Get me indoors with birds and I freak.

I remember nature's idea of quiet: the sounds of birds, rustling wind, the rushing waters of the stream. I have aromamemory (I just invented that word. Good word, huh?). There are scents that change with the season. Scents that signal the time of day. I smelled them today. They are so fleeting, that as soon as the whiff catches your attention, it seems to evaporate away, and you're left trying to identify the source from memory.



Today I returned, after 30 years. It looked different. Ha, but then, so do I!

The cabins have had a lot of upgrades.
I could use some upgrades myself.
The program has been fine-tuned and polished.
I'd like to think I'm much more fine-tuned and polished than I was 30 years ago.
The lodge has been extended and is larger.
My butt seems to have been extended and is definitely larger.
The area has flourished, in spite of drought, changes in leadership, and harsh weather.
I believe I've flourished, in spite of obstacles and challenges.

As we got out on the trail, I started to feel the 30 year old essence of the area. I listened to the quiet sounds of nature. I smelled springtime. I was so lucky to have had the chance to work there. To be outside, surrounded by the serenity of natural beauty, each day. I don't remember ever feeling like it was too hot, too cold, too rainy, or too windy to go out on the trails. I had the opportunity, everyday, to teach children to observe, listen, watch, and expect miracles and beauty from nature.

We walked the trails, and I was happy to realize so much of that "naturalist" knowledge popped back into my head. I recognized a bay laurel tree, pulled off a leaf so I could have my friends smell the real source of the leaf that they purchase and throw into their stews. I pointed out the difference between wild blackberries and poison oak. I explained that acorn woodpeckers place acorns in holes as a lure to insects. As the acorn rots and bugs are attracted, the woodpeckers eat the bugs. It was all coming back to me. Random tidbits, making me a walking Trivial Pursuit game.

Unfortunately, there were too many people at this open day for exploring. So, the truest serenity was not to be had. On the trail, a couple of youths started to crowd us. I was feeling sort of boxed in by them, tailgaters. I wanted to pull over and let them pass. Then, when one of them turned on his iPod and I had to listen to Nickelback .... well, I wanted to short circuit! I got Stacy's attention, and directed her away from the trail for a closer look at one of the rocks in the stream. We let them pass us and go on their musical way, so we could proceed on our lovely walk. I don't have issue with Nickelback, but I DO have issue with listening to any iPod tunes while walking next to a babbling stream!

As we came to the end of the trail, this is the sign we all turned around to read. I guess we were leaving at the entrance of the trail. This made for a good laugh.


30 years later. Wow.

3 comments:

diane said...

That sounds so beautiful. You are a lucky woman.

cathmom said...

Love this post. There must be some kind of magic as you pass a 30 year marker. After changes upon changes. . . I need to know. If you stay on the path will you NOT see a snake??
OUTEDU, the word verification

auntgigi said...

I wonder if the rattlesnakes read the sign and said, "HEY YOU SLITHERING FOOLS!!! Get off the trail! There are people walking around!"

and in the distance, you hear a female rattler screaming... "eeeee! people!!!"