Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Secrets, Quirks, Compulsions

I've been spending time mentally listing all the private weirdnesses I enjoy.


I like Hostess Snowballs. I don't eat them often, but I lust for them often. When I meet someone else who admits they too have an occasional hankerin' for a snowball, there is a universal spark of kindredship. People are hesitant to publicly admit they like snowballs.

I check the flatness of my stomach compulsively. NOT that I HAVE a flat stomach. I guess, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I believe that there is a possibility that during the night, while in a deep sleep, the "Flat Stomach Fairy" will wave her stomach-flattening wand over me, and I'll wake up with a washboard midriff. So far, she hasn't found me.

I don't watch the Kardashians (often), but I'm curious about them. Since I can say that Khloe is my favorite Kardashian, I know they have a clothing boutique called Dash, I know Kourtney's baby is named Mason, and, in my opinion, Bruce's revamped facelift looks much better, I suppose I know too much about them.


I also watch Family Guy. AND, I laugh! I know, it's the lowest form of humor on TV. It isn't uncommon for me to groan during a show, but still, I think it's pretty funny. Really, a baby with a snobby British accent, who feels superior to his entire family, and the most stable, intelligent family member is the dog, Brian? Good stuff. At least I don't watch any of the Real Housewives. Now THAT would be sick.

I honk at squirrels. Not to warn them I'm coming so they'll run out of the way (even though, I do that if they're in the road). No, I honk to startle them on the side of the road. Sadly, my new car, or, I should say, my most recent car doesn't have a good squirrel startling horn. The best horn is on a smaller car, quick and beepy. I used to be quite obsessed by it. I couldn't drive Hwy. 41 without numerous honks. Sometimes, I'd make predictions according to how many squirrels I could scare. I'd pick a random number, let's say 5. Then I'd think of something I hoped would be waiting for me at home..... a cleaned kitchen, no pressing bills in the mail, Anthony having a feeling good day... then I'd begin my challenge. If I could startle 5 squirrels before reaching Hwy. 198, then my choice of prediction would occur. The next car I buy, I'm doing a squirrel test drive.

My latest secret alone snack is pretzel rods dipped in canned frosting. Try it. It's quite yummy. (refer back to my morning ritual of checking for a flat stomach - obviously, for no good reason).

I cuss a LOT at other drivers on the road, but I never let them know I'm verbally abusing them in the sanctuary of my own vehicle. I don't flash dirty looks. I don't flip anyone off, but I can blast off a stream of foul words, directed at them and sometimes directed toward their relatives too.

I can't drink cold beverages out of a mug. Can't.

I don't drink sodas very often, but when I do, I drink them at room temperature. No ice. They're bubblier.

I like the feeling of having my eyebrows waxed.

Since I can't think of any more weirdnesses, I'm feeling that I'm a boring person. I'm going to have to give this more thought.

2 comments:

Lovely Lindsay said...

favorite line: "quick and beepy"

hoping that someday cath will pick you up in her lil' red (she'll have to check her squirrel honker) and the two of you will road trip it up here. we'll stay up late and drink warm cokes and watch the kardashians.
love, lindsay

cathmom said...

I embrace your quirks.
I think we should make Lindsay's dreams come true. I will sleep by Charlie while you watch the Kardorkians.