Saturday, October 30, 2010

What's Growing On?




Pistachio trees - aren't these nuts pretty, in their early growing stage? They grow in bunches, like grapes.



Tractor tire patterns - I like these tracks.



Pomegranates - More and more pomegranate orchards are popping up around the county. They're pretty trees.



September 10, 2010 - Cotton flowers blooming





October 21, 2010 - Crop dusters have sprayed a defoliant on the field, so leaves dry up and drop off, leaving the cotton bolls exposed for easy picking.





Cotton has been picked from these fields. I wish I'd been able to get pictures of the cotton picker machines in action. They're massive!





These are cotton modules. These can be seen along side of every cotton field after picking. From here, the module is picked up by a module loader(I'm sort of guessing on that name) and taken to the cotton gin. At the gin, the seeds will be removed from the cotton and the raw cotton will be packed into 500 lb bales.

Cotton is white. Snow is white. I'm more comfortable around cotton.

3 comments:

cathmom said...

Famous quote: "I'm the daughter of a cotton farmer!" Of course you are! These are gorgeous photos. I will eat more pistachios, bite lustily into fresh picked pomegranates and continue my love for 100% cotton clothes. You rock, daughter of TAB!

diane said...

The pistachios look like grapes. I love them. Please don't be mad that I don't eat them often. I can't, because once I get going I won't stop until my fingers and mouth hurt from all of the pistachios I have cracked, and my tummy hurts from eating all of that goodness. Oh how I love pistachios, but I always make it too much of a good thing.

Sycamore Girl said...

when i lived in the deep south (mobile, AL) there were cotton fields everywhere! And I thought to myself, "Sheesh...they still do that down here?" Then i saw the giant machines doing the work instead and my heart let a sigh of relief!