Monday, October 18, 2010

Would you like to sing my song?



I was in the mood for some Janis Ian music. In college I had three or four of her albums. She sang songs that whispered the torments and confusion of young love and relationships. In listening to some of her music tonight, I felt sad to realize that her songs rang true to a corner of my being in those days.

"At Seventeen" -- I privately related to this song. I think some would be surprised to learn I connected with the soft lament of the unpopular high school girl in the song. I could see it through her eyes, and feel some of her hurts from being overlooked.

"In the Winter" --- Feelings of loneliness, love lost. Being on the outside, alone, dramatic reactions to a failed relationship.

"Love Is Blind" --- Okay, now I'm realizing I was obsessed. Geez, get over him already!!

http://www.janisian.com/albums/aftertones.php
Check out the URL above, so you can listen to some of the next songs.

"This Must Be Wrong" and "Boy I Really Tied One On" --- Um, thank goodness, I'm coming out of my heartache dreariness.

There are so many of her songs I really loved, and I'm revisiting them. I hope Janis found a happy life and love. Now, I'm able to listen to her songs for their beautiful melodies and the soft, gentle voice of a fragile woman. Through some of her songs I look back at a time in my life that included youthful drama, silly choices, and high voltage reactions. Truthfully, that was just a sprinkling over a lot of fun, good friends, new experiences, and a girl finding her way into adulthood.

2 comments:

cathmom said...

Thanks G. She is very cool. I knew it then but failed to make enough room for her. Do you remember a place called The Grate and a folksinger named Ginny that played there. I went there with somebody but can't remember who. Loved it so much.

diane said...

I am so uncool. I have never heard of Janis Ian. That was beautiful. Thank you for teaching me.