Sunday, April 10, 2011

Life Lab

The reason I was in Santa Cruz was to attend a 2-day School Gardening Workshop.  I am not a gardener, but I am a teacher who believes children should do more at school than sit at a desk.  School just isn't as much fun these days (in my opinion).  I attended so I could learn how a non-gardening teacher creates mini-gardeners.

I was hugely inspired!

First of all, the people who work at this heaven-on-Earth facility, have smiles on their faces that can only be produced by working at a job that they love passionately! Daily, they are surrounded by the most beautiful scenery in the state, clean air, and happy energy.  I hate them.  I want to be them.  Envy is an ugly thing.


Notice the ocean in the background?  Understand my envy?
This honey bee box was quite cool.  Unlatch the door and open, and you can view the inner workings of a bee hive.


I found this structure interesting.  Huge slab of slate with marbles attached in the etchings.  I figured we might recreate this at school one day, using all the confiscated marbles collected by the principal.


Artichoke plants are quite beautiful, in addition to producing a very yummy vegetable.

Driving to Santa Cruz, I drove right through the artichoke capital of the world... Castroville.  The fields were heavy with artichoke plants, ready for harvesting.  I took a picture of an artichoke field, but it didn't turn out very clear. Disappointing.


I took this picture to remind myself that this is a plant I want in my yard.  I've seen it before, loved it, but had forgotten about it.  I think I might leave the house today in search of Mexican Sage, even though I'm thinking my yard is getting a little "purple overload".... seems I have an attractive to purple blossoms.



I learned about worm bins.  Lots of creepy crawlies find the bin to be a delicious home. 




I don't know the name of this succulent, but isn't it a beauty?!  I took these pictures for my students, to use as an example of patterns in nature. 

And, just for good measure, to add to the ultimate pleasure and plethora of information I absorbed at this workshop, we didn't start our day until 9:00 am!  This gave us time for an early morning walk along Sea Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz.  Can you imagine starting each day with this???

Power

Beauty

Soothing



Peace.............

2 comments:

cathmom said...

So glad you got to spend time at HeavenOnEarth. You just gave me the biggest sace of ocean spring fever ever. Waaaay beautiful pictures!

cathmom said...

biggest case!