Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back To School

This year, I'm teaching 3rd and 4th graders. Even though it is a BIG challenge, I am SO excited to have 7 returning students with me. When I volunteered to take the combination class (this year ONLY), one of my requests was that I be allowed to select who stays with me for another year.

Some people who teach combo classes think they should have the high level students, the students who are able to learn quickly and work independently. That would certainly make life easier on the teacher faced with the responsibility of two curriculums.

I don't feel that way. I'd rather keep the students who were just on the brink of really coming on, but struggled throughout most of the school year. Give them a little more time, teach to their pace. Allow them to be the "experts" of the class, since they already have a year under their belts with me.

I have 7 students from last year's 3rd grade class. They are now my 4th graders. We had a reunion today. I told them that they are my chosen 7. We know what to expect from each other. I know their issues, and they know mine. They know what buttons to stay away from - or - to push, if they're really out to get me.

I did not select the easiest to teach. But, just between you and me? They are the ones who are the most fun to teach! I'm quite crazy about these kids.

1 comment:

diane said...

Those are some super lucky kids, having you two years in a row.