Monday, January 3, 2011

Today's Name

In a previous post, I included a quote about naming each of your days. I've really held onto that thought, and since reading that quote, I've tried to make myself more conscious of my days. I wonder how many of my days would have been named "Mundane"? I remember a day that was named "Huh?"

Today's name would have been Time and Order.

Being on vacation with no big plans, it's given me time to work and complete tasks that I don't normally find time to accomplish. Oh, according to the clock and the 24 hours in a day, there certainly is time to tackle these organizational types of tasks. But, I just don't stretch myself much to find the time. Normally, I'm just working the day, then trying to regather enough energy to go back to work the next day.

Today, I got my pantry reorganized. Over zealous purchases of multiple cans of tomato paste, now outdated, tossed. Numerous opened bags of rice, compiled into one large bag. Canned products together, with closer dated cans at the front, 2012 dates at the back. Beans together - tomatoes together - hominy and diced chilis, just waiting for their call to Tortilla Soup duty. Grains are on the left, eye level shelf. I'm well stocked on quinoa and not ready to give up on the black rice. It stays. Baking ingredients are housed together now, with enough sugar to bake sugar cookies for all of Southwest's flights during month of January. Not sure when my obsession with buying sugar started.

Today was a double thrill. Time and order.

1 comment:

cathmom said...

Oh, G, we are kindred. Multiple bags of opened rice. I found some brown rice blend this morning, exp 10/10, a treat from The Boise Co-op who knows when. Your pantry is beautiful. Organizing your spaces is a wonderful thing. You find that it begins to clear any chaos that's living in your head. HNY!