Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Day

I never sleep restfully the night before the first day of school. That's okay, because by the end of the week, I'll be exhausted and coma/sleep. It's almost a relief when my alarm finally chimes that it's time to get this day started.

Ahhhh, I instantly feel that familiar school energy as I get out of my car in the parking lot. I can hear the children. Ours is a K-8 school, so there are 5 year olds up to 14 year olds. Laughing, running, reconnecting with friends. Hmmmm, don't hear any hysterical crying from the kindergarten playground. Good sign. Girls complimenting each other's new school clothes choices. Boys looking at "summer changed" girls, awkward, wanting attention, getting it in the dumbest of ways. Little ones running in circles, like dust devils. And... when they spot their previous year's teacher!! Hugs, "I miss you!" "I want to stay with you" "Look at my new shoes!" "My cousins are going to school here! They live with us!"

Everyone is charged up. The staff lounge is not much different than the playground. The adults are wearing first day of school clothes. We eye the front desk, looking for new students. Stash lunch into the refrigerator, and make way for the classroom.

When I walk up to my classroom, I see my fresh faces waiting for me. They look so timid, but at the same time, they are waiting to enter the room to stake their claim for the year. This room is now theirs. Some of these children have never been in my room. Some only visited when they were assigned to detention. Others, came for a Friday movie day. But, starting today, this is THEIR room. Home.

They look at me with big eyes. I know what they're thinking.... "is she mean?" "Am I going to be able to handle this?" "I like her shoes." (really cute first day of school shoes. I'll have to make an attempt to post a pic.) I smile, welcome them, wave them in and direct them to "Find your desk!" They look around, happy to discover they're sitting near a friend. Pencils and binders are unpacked, as they start their settlement.

Everyone is seated, and I have 14 faces staring at me. It's quite unsettling! I know this won't last. This is the honeymoon between us. As the week progresses, we'll ease up, they will get more comfortable, and the days of walking in quietly, getting seated, and looking toward me angelically with a face waiting to learn..... well, it just won't be that easy.

How cute they are. We are going to spent 180 days together. They are going to grow, physically and academically. We are going to know each other well. I am a link in their chain. I'm not the entire chain. I need to be sure that my link is strong. Solid. No cracks.

And, they are link number 29 in my chain. I trust them to be strong.

1 comment:

diane said...

I've said it before, but I wish you could teach my children! I am very grateful, though, that they have teachers that care. Your students are lucky to have you influence their lives. And their parents are lucky that you get to partner with them in their efforts to teach, raise and nurture their children, if only for a year.