Saturday, August 15, 2009

Preparing

I've been working in my classroom for the past two weeks, but I'm still going out there today, just to be sure that all is in place for Monday morning. Other teachers are much more efficient with their time than me, but I piddle. I like being in my room, alone. I turn on music, and flitter around the room. Very ADHD, but it works for me. I get many projects started at one time, and rotate from one to another, until one by one, they are completed. I know that bothers some personalities (I happen to live with one of those personalities!), people who like to complete a task before moving on to something else. But for me, I feel I'm keeping myself fresh for all of them at once. As I feel myself getting bored or frustrated, or the task is starting to feel tedious, then I move on to something else. I know I'll get back to the current task, when I'm re-energized for it.
I'm really liking how my room is looking. I've rearranged furniture a bit, to create more movement for the students. I've designed some really eye attractive learning centers, and I'm actually very excited to incorporate them in my instruction this year!
I want my students to walk in to THEIR classroom, and feel energy. The time I take to create an environment lets them know that I take this education stuff seriously and, even more importantly, I respect them and their needs. I need to balance having just enough visual stimulation for those who require that around them... with not over-doing it, for those who might feel visually overloaded. Personally, I prefer lots of visual stimulation. It charges me.
So, I will go out to my classroom today, and make sure all of my visual T's are crossed and I's are dotted. In 2 days, I will start a new school year adventure with a new group of students. I wonder what they are thinking this weekend?

2 comments:

cathmom said...

I wish I was laying out my new first day of school outfit and carefully packing my backpack. I would pick you for my teacher. You are my teacher in so many ways. Have the best first day of school in your whole life tomorrow!

Lovely Lindsay said...

sooooo??how'd it go?