Tuesday, August 4, 2009

School Shopping

Yesterday I went to GW School Supply, which is a shopping mecca for teachers. After all these years teaching, you wouldn't think I'd need another teaching aid, language arts book, poster, calendar, or bulletin board. I probably don't. But, that's the greatest part of teaching. Each year is different. Each class has different needs and a different personality. There is always a better approach, a more appropriate approach for an individual student (hey, I just noticed the word "dual" is in individual.... isn't that an oxymoron??).

I'm getting anxious about this coming school year. The word is, I have some "challenges" awaiting me. That is normal, but somehow, teachers are always wanting a class that is "smooth"... and that is much less normal than "challenging."

This is what I love about teaching. Each year, in August, there is promise. This could be the year that a child clicks. This could be the year that a student really starts to get it. I could be super teacher this year!!!! Or, maybe not.

But, one thing for sure. Awaiting me is a group of individuals. A class that will take on its own personality, built from the individual personalities. They will each bring a bundle of life with them.... "Here's my box of life, Mrs. Wiens. I'm yours until June. Do something educational with me." And, in each box can be a mishmash of experiences.....
"I'm well loved"
"I'm over protected"
"I'm over indulged"
"My parents think I'm perfect."
"My parents expect more from me than I can deliver right now"
"I'm shy, and would rather not talk to you."
"I can't make friends very easily"
"I need a LOT of attention, and I'm willing to do ANYTHING to get it!"
"My parents are always yelling and fighting, and I can't concentrate"
"Someone has hurt me, but I can't talk about it."
"I'm hungry"
"I love learning"
"I don't want to be here"
"I can't read, and I'm embarrassed"
"I want to be number one!"

No matter what is in each box, I'm responsible for teaching each of them. I'm responsible for getting results, regardless of what each one brings in their box.

I hope I can make it a happy year. I wonder if I'll go shopping again?

1 comment:

diane said...

You will definitely go shopping again. =)
And thnak you for recognizing that each student has such a different experience that they are bringing into your classroom. And regardless, each child has equal worth.