Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Playlist

I don't think I can be cornered into a type of music. I rely on all styles to lift me, express my feelings, and soothe my spirit. It definitely depends on the occasion and for what reason I'm turning to the music. I can do rock, country, bluegrass, reggae, and if the truth be known... when I'm alone in the car, I sometimes listen to the Mexican radio station. I love Tejano and Latino music, except, I can't sing along. Not that I don't try.



I must say, I really love my playlist for this blog. When I was directed to Playlist.com, I found a treasure.... just about any music from my lifetime, all available for my own personalized playlist. The site allows you to build many lists, and each list can hold a ton of music (180ish songs, I think). My playlist for this blog speaks to my peaceful spirit. The music breathes calmness into me, and I love all of artists. At different times, I want to sing like each of them.



Willie Nelson... I've loved him, and I mean LOVED him, since 1976. We go way back together. He got my attention at a time when my friends and I were heavily into listening to Grand Funk Railroad, Bob Seger (ooo, I'll have to look him up on playlist), Edgar Winter, Steve Miller..... then I secretly drifted off to Willie, at a time when liking anyone remotely connected with country, would have caused me to be shunned. I take pride in believing that I've been very influencial in a number of people learning to love Willie's music through me. Someday, I'll do an entire Willie Nelson blog. He deserves it.



k.d. lang - her voice is "yum" to me. I think I have a crush.

Bonnie Raitt - She is what I would love to sound like as a blues/rocker. I love the raspy, raw edge in her voice. She really can tell the story.

Emmylou Harris - in the early 80's, I had most of her records. I listened to her a lot while I was commuting to my outdoor ed job in Springville. She has that mountain sound to her voice. Plus, she's a beauty.

CSNY - "Teach Your Children". Got this album when I was in the 8th grade, and listened to TYC plenty of times, as well as "Our House". I wondered why I couldn't harmonize with myself.... though, Cathy and I gave it a go on many of our own recorded songs. The song, Southern Cross, was one of Anthony's favorites. He introduced me to that song, and it can't listen to it without thinking of him. I love that song.

Jane Siberry - I heard this song, "Calling All Angels" on an episode of Six Feet Under. It was hauntingly beautiful. When my precious sister, Fran, died... I wanted this song played at the funeral. When I found it and really listened to the words, I was knocked over at how deeply the lyrics spoke to me and to our family at that time. We'd lost Ted, Scott, Anthony, and now Fran... all in a 2 year time. Never a more necessary time to have our angels surround us in their celestial knowledge and comfort, while we were trying to sort out emotions that were too intense and confusing for this earth.

Gillian Welch and Allison Krauss - "I'll Fly Away" If there's ever a funeral or memorial for me after I pass this world, I want this song, okay? How did I find this version?.... It's on the soundtrack from Oh Brother Where Art Thou. One of my favorite movies.

Merlin's Magic - this is my meditation music. When I sit in my invisible chair, this takes me where I want to go.

This playlist starts my day and brings me to a peaceful quiet at the end of the day. I love this music.

1 comment:

cathmom said...

Oh, Oh, Oh. . . We ARE BFF! I had no idea you loved Emmy Lou! I just barely gave up on wanting to BE her. And Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch! I have my own history with Southern Cross (Papeete!)Oh, I am missing Anthony. A K.D. crush, yes. You can have her. Indigos are my Girls right now. Cannot even wait to road trip. We'll be like Oprah and Gayle. I'm Gayle cuz she CAN'T sing!