Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Week of School

Well, we made it. By Friday, all of us were finding our comfort zones and true selves started to emerge. Every night, I went to bed thanking God for my life and gifts, then humbly asking to stay close and keep me patient and understanding. That can be very hard to do at times.
I asked for my angels to stay at my side all day long, and conference with my students' angels, so we can work as a team. I've also returned to this school year determined to rise above the negativities of some of the staff members. There is more to teaching than what occurs in Room 11, and when administrative demands don't mesh well with the truth of instructing a child, then stressed out teachers are created. I am taking a positive attitude with me each day, and coaching myself to "let it go" when glitches arise.

In the big picture? Kids are cute!!! Second day of school, while we were walking to class, one of my students said to me, "Mrs. Wiens, I heard you're good at teaching."

Hmmmm, so THAT'S the word on the playground, huh?? I wonder if he's holding out to form his own opinion? He should.

In fact, let me introduce you to this little guy. Of course, I will never disclose names in this forum. I've watched him since kindergarten. He's ADHD, and quite honestly, I'm not sure if he's on meds or not. Hispanic families are much more accepting of children's behavior than the general population, and they aren't eager to medicate their children. He's always wiggling, but in a dancing way. AND, he's always wiggling his tongue! It's almost like his tongue grew to adult size first, and he doesn't have appropriate housing for it! So, he's aware of it, and wiggles it. He actually is quite acrobatic with that tongue. It amuses me. I remember seeing him in line, when he was in 1st and 2nd..... always jumping, dancing, clapping, wiggling. Quite irritating at times, I'm sure, but I was drawn to his enthusiasm. He was bouncing around as if in pure joy for simply being at school! So, when we met with the 2nd grade teachers to make class lists, he was on the list of "challenges". I said, "I'll take him."

We'll do just fine.

1 comment:

diane said...

I am SO happy for him to have you as a teacher! Especially since I have an ADHD son that doesn't want to stop moving and I can completely relate. Us parents need teachers that want to help our children grow and blossom, not label them and try to squeeze their individuality out of them. I always tell my son he needs to learn to use his powers for good, not evil. I want him to learn to channel that fantastic mind and put it to good use.