Monday, August 31, 2009

The Joy of Color

My kitchen has recently been introduced into the 21st century. Prior to my renovations, it had been stuck in retro 80's decor. Earthy tan countertop tile and dark, seen better days, cabinets. The oven was the original cooking contraption installed in 1981, before I was the owner, and the frig was the white frig Anthony and I bought in 1988 for $500. I knew the frig was still working on good spirit, and it's days were drawing close to an end. The only thing that saved the oven was the fact that I cooked so infrequently!

So, this year, starting in January, I updated the kitchen. Not one of those $50,000 jobs you see on HGTV. I had a budget, but even better than that... I have Myles, who is extremely talented and eager to make something less costly, scream out it's best features. I know that stainless is the current trend for appliances, but in my budget research, purchasing all black appliances would save me about $500. Black it is. I bought all Kitchenaid appliances, receiving a $200 rebate for buying 3 appliances. I bought generic cabinets from Lowes, in which Myles painted within an inch of their lives, he installed nice hardware, increasing their look of value. I applied for a Lowe's credit card, put the cabinets, hardware, and paint on the card, promised to pay it off in a year at no interest, and got an additional 20%. Oh, and I selected and ordered a quartz countertop before the end of January, which came with a promotion of a free stainless steel sink. As you see, I did my financial homework.

Patience and waiting is a very good thing, especially if you have the option of waiting to make certain decisions. Everything in the kitchen has been completed, except the backsplash. Originally, I wanted glass mosaic tile. Black. Then, I entertained the thought of tin ceiling tiles, for the "POW" factor. Hmm, maybe. Then, I turned to 4x4 tiles, not sure what color. Finally, we decided on simply painting. That doesn't rule out other materials for the future, but for right now, to complete the project, painting is the way we decided to go. Plus, after living with the kitchen for a couple of months, I knew I needed some color in there. The cabinets are a vanilla cream color, the countertops a speckled cream, root beer, and black, and the fore-mentioned black appliances. Beautiful materials and products, but already boring in color.

So, yesterday, we painted. We took the color from the kitchen into one wall of the attached living room, because there was no comfortable transition line. I love the color of my living room, a warm, very comforting grey poupon gold. I selected a cajun red for the kitchen, and one wall in the living room. Yum....... it turned out gloriously warm and rich, the colors together creating an Italian warmth that is envelopes you, like the deep breast of a loving Italian mama.

I have some Italian plates, that, when placed against the walls, look absolutely gorgeous. Even though there is a lot of Italian influence in the colors and decor (thanks Nanu and Nana), the depth of the Cajun Red, reminds me of a rich, Indian spice. I now will be in search of curtains or fabric, with an Indian print. Maybe a batik look, a light fabric.

I'm patient. I'll live without until I find just what I want, and within my price.

Now... to learn to cook in this updated kitchen! I really need a decent camera, so I can post pics!

1 comment:

diane said...

Oh it sounds absolutely BEAUTIFUL!